Well, my new baby is one month old today, and I noted with some amazement that I was able to paint up 10 Poxwalkers over the last 30 days, even while I was juggling a hospital stay for the birth, visits from doting grandparents and plenty of late nights rocking a fussy newborn.
So I’m sharing a few photos of these nasty buggers and also congratulating myself on accomplishing a bit of hobby progress in January!
For my first batch of Poxwalkers, I went with the standard rotting green flesh color. For these guys, I wanted to try out a new flesh color, so I gave them a few washes of purple shade, plus sepia on the boils and sores, to create a suitably gnarly flesh color. Maybe these guys are the reanimated corpses of a starship crew that was killed after an explosive decompression in the void? And they floated in hard vacuum for a few weeks before Papa Nurgle saw fit to reanimate them for his legions? Yeah, that’s it. That might explain the purplish tone of their flesh.
I did some head and weapon swaps on these guys to differentiate them from the stock sculpts. Aside from the flesh, I went with a fairly quick and simple paint scheme for their clothing and weapons — after all, the goal here is to get these guys done to a passable tabletop standard.
Anyway, I’ve got another 10 guys to paint up in a similar paint scheme. Once they’re done, I’ll have two full-sized blocks of Poxwalkers ready for my new game of Warhammer 40k. In addition to being fairly effective on the battlefield, these guys look great in a big group, surging across the battlefield toward the enemy lines, blazing a trail for squads of heavy hitting Plague Marines. Stay tuned!